Serviceability Limit State of Concrete Structures (PDF)
FIB BULLETIN NO. 92
Title: Serviceability Limit State of Concrete Structures
Format approx. DIN A4 (210x297 mm)
Serviceability limit states are essential for appropriate function and durability of concrete structures. The attention is paid especially to the stress limitation, crack width analysis and deflection analysis. The document provides supplementary information to the fib Model Code 2010 (MC2010), where a limited space did not allow for a detailed description of individual procedures. The principles used in MC2010 in chapter 7.6 are explained in detail within this document.
The stress analysis is focused on stresses in concrete and steel including the stress redistribution due to the long-term load and cracking of reinforced concrete and prestressed concrete elements. Crack width analysis explains the mechanism of cracking under mechanical loading and due to deformation restraint. Cracks in prestressed concrete elements are also discussed. Deflection analyses with different levels of accuracy are described including the shear effects.
Examples illustrate the practical application of rules defined in the MC2010 of individual serviceability limit states. Simplified and more general methods are used.
An important part of the bulletin shows the development and extension of the serviceability limit states after publishing of the MC2010 and alternative approaches. Special attention is paid to deflections of prestressed concrete beams, shear effects on deflection, slenderness limits and influence of the concrete cover. The final part deals with an application of numerical simulations.
Download the table of contents as a PDF file.
- Introduction - doi.org/10.35789/fib.BULL.0092.Ch01
- Requirements for concrete structures in terms of SLS - doi.org/10.35789/fib.BULL.0092.Ch02
- Design criteria of serviceability limit states - doi.org/10.35789/fib.BULL.0092.Ch03
- Rules and explanations - doi.org/10.35789/fib.BULL.0092.Ch04
- Examples - doi.org/10.35789/fib.BULL.0092.Ch05
- Outlook on serviceability limit states - doi.org/10.35789/fib.BULL.0092.Ch06
- Verification of serviceability limit states by numerical simulation - doi.org/10.35789/fib.BULL.0092.Ch07
- Conclusion - doi.org/10.35789/fib.BULL.0092.Ch08